About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

O'Hare and Stoffa in 1899?


This is classic. This is the Shenandoah Herald, 1899. My grandfather (Bernard O'Hare) was about 17. Barbara Stoffa's grandmother (Ella Franey) was even younger, about 14. Both are recognized for making it through the first month of school without being late or absent.

Here's what Jeff Stoffa (John's son) tells me.

"I don't know what I love more, that Bernard O'Hare and Ella Franey are in the same article - or the idea that if you were punctual for just the first month of school, you got your name in the paper! I guess standards were low in Shenandoah in 1899!"

I think that if we had those standards today, more kids might actually graduate. If they made it through the year, they were honored with a parade.

No comments: