About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Max

Max just finished his sophomore year at Penn State Hazleton. He's on his way to being the first person from his family to complete college. He's a fitness buff and looks like a linebacker. But he's never played in organized sports, preferring instead to play parts in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. He's a bit of an iconoclast, much like his old man, who is one of my best friends. That's how I know Max.

Over the weekend, I noticed on Facebook that Max shaved his head. I laughed, thinking that he was just being a nut like many college kids.

Yesterday, I learned that Max shaved his head because his girlfriend had cancer and lost all her hair. He did it for her. Bald and bold.

She lost her battle on June 4.

Age 19.

An actress and singer at Dorney Park and Wild Water Kingdom, she was a theater major at Northampton Community College.

Her name was Kalee.

Though her young life has ended, what Max did for her gives me hope for us all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bernie
This is your son? I'm so sorry to hear his young beautiful girl friend passed away.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry Bernie, your son looks to be a good man.

The Banker

Bernie O'Hare said...

Max is the son of one of my best friends, not my son.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Just added a phrase to my post so that is more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous said...

Heroes come in many shapes, sizes, ages, ethnicities... Max's family and friends should be very proud of him.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

I feel terrible for Max Angle. The story is horrible. It was interesting that you acknowledge Ron Angle as one of your best friends. Yeah folks Max is Ron's other son.

Bernie O'Hare said...

It is sad. Max is a great young man, and what he did gives me hope for those who will follow us. This story is about him, not his father.

I purposely kept Ron's name out of it so that the Angle bashers would stay away. It is no secret that I consider him one of my best friends. I have said that numerous times, and don't know why it would surprise you. But this is not about him.

Matt said...

Thank you for this, Bernie.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful young man...The Angles are a wonderful family-parents and both boys. Prayers to his girlfriend's friends and family ...and shame on the "Anonymous 11:39" for feeling the need to identify Max. Like Bernie said-this is about a lovely gesture after a heart breaking tragedy-not his parents.