About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, November 09, 2012

The Guy I Cut Off in the Voting Line

A local nurse, who also maintains a blog to hone her writing skills, tells this heartwarming story from election night.
The day of voting, I went after a long day in class/work/orientation. I stood in line like many across the country did that day, and in front of me was an elderly gentleman. I noticed this man was on supplemental oxygen and was alone. He managed to either drive or get dropped off, but regardless made the effort to participate in the election. He then walked all the way into the polling center, and waited in line like the rest of us. What I was pleased to see was that other people in line (this was all happening ahead of me- the gentleman had gotten there before me), but the other people in line in front of him, all let him go before them. They also went and got a chair for him to sit in not only while he waited but during the process of actually casting his vote. Other people helped him carry his oxygen machine. The poll director helped him back down the stairs and to his car.
I'm pretty sure this is the guy I beat to the line by kicking his oxygen tank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

I have to be honest. I know it is the observed holiday for Veterans' Day and most people celebrated this holiday (weekend) by at the least, taking off of work.

But today was just a little more difficult than most other days. Why? Because I look so forward to reading this blog. (Maybe, I don't have an eventful life?)(But I bet most other people came here this morning and were confused and/or disappointed that there were not any new postings.)(And your detractors had nothing new to talk or whine about, as well.)

And since there was nothing new today and most of the weekend, I felt like a part of me was either missing or upset.

I guess what I am saying is that I take it for granted that you are just going to post articles everyday. But what I do not know is how much work you put into it, you too need days off, with some days you just don't feel like posting, and/or don't have any articles ready for posting. And I also take for granted that one article (with all of the research and what not)is so difficult to come to fruition, while yet on some days you have three or four articles for posting.

In short, I wanted to say thank you for all of your hard work over the years. Even if other people give you a hard time, they miss you too. Like I wrote above, even your detractors didn't have anything to write or refute negatively about you today. And you know how much they rely and depend on every word that you write. If it wasn't for you, most of them wouldn't even have a blog. And as a matter of fact, then didn't even write anything.

I hope you had a good holiday and are well. I look forward to when you will be posting again. Thanks!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks very much for the kind words. They are certainly appreciated. I probably would have posted something today, especially since it is Veterans' Day. But I woke up on Saturday with muscle spasms in my lower back, and that still hurts like hell. That makes me ornery, which is good for blogging. I'll be posting at midnight. Thanks again.