About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, November 01, 2012

J. Willie Reynolds Does The Hat-Trick!

J. Willie Reynolds After Firecracker 4-Miler in July
Any baseball player who can manage to hit three home runs in one game is said to have performed a hat-trick. Obviously, it's pretty rare. For Runner's World, it's completing a 5k, 10k and half-marathon over the course of a weekend. I think that doing three races like that, back-to-back, is tougher than a marathon. And just as nutz. But that's exactly what Bethlehem City Council member J. Willie Reynolds did late last month in Bethlehem.

Believe it or not, 700 people managed to complete this feat. Willie placed 46th among them.

"I survived," he tells me. He did better than that. But if you see his legs anywhere in Bethlehem, give him a call.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very tough yes, but harder than completing a marathon, no way. And of course it depends on the effort put forth on the 3 races.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I agree. If I run a 5k at my "race" pace, I'm pretty much shot for a few days. Willie was able to run the 5k, 10k and half at about a 7-minute mile. There is no way I could do that. Ever. And I have completed 13 marathons in my day. They seemed so much shorter then.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say but these over the top runners are running (mentally) from something and for me, I find it hard to trust them, again, it's just me!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Alrighty then.

Anonymous said...

Bernie... the phrase does not come from baseball... it is a hockey term...a hat trick is three goals in one game, not three home runs

Bernie O'Hare said...

Actually, the term originated in cricket, and it is used in all sports.

Anonymous said...

Bernie is mad that Willie's wang is longer than his. And he has a hot girlfriend.