About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

About That Morning Call Best Blog Contest

If Internet polls meant anything, Ron Paul would be President today. Despite their inherent unreliability, The Morning Call is using that very system to determine the "best" LV blogs. Instead of even attempting an honest Internet poll (if there is such a thing), this paper is allowing daily votes and is doing daily updates to create a buzz. Let's be honest. This really has nothing to do with determining the "best" blogs, but it sure has a lot to do with increasing the number of registered users at The Morning Call, and that's a basis for more advertising revenue.

It's all about the moolah.

I found out about this contest two weeks ago, when a reader emailed me to say I had been nominated in the "misfit" category, which sounds suspiciously like something created specifically for low-lyin' bottom feeders like me.

But I can't see the frickin' nomination.

According to blogger Jonathan Geeting, who has the inside word, "One word of warning - you have to create a Morning Call login if you don't have one, and the login is being kind of screwy for some people. Andrew McGill has assured me they're looking into it, but don't be discouraged! It's not clear if the problem is browser-related, but people seem to be having the best luck with Chrome or Safari, or logging in with Google."

Speaking of luck, I happen to be one of those people who can't sign on. Whether I use Google Chrome, IE8 or Mozilla, I just get messages from The Morning Call saying, "It's not you, it's us. Really!" So I really have no idea what is going on with this "Best Blogs Contest."

I've written to the Andrew McGill mentioned by Jonathan, but he apparently doesn't talk to misfits.

Fortunately, a cabal of very positive and obviously superior bloggers, including Geeting, of course, have united to tell you how to vote. Every day. They've actually created a "Vote for Us" plank and are splattering it all over their blogs. "This list is a Who's Who of writers who are working to promote a positive forward-looking vision for the region's future, and it is refreshingly free of the unproductive curmudgeony and Hess’s Lament™ that sadly characterizes too much of the LV blogosphere."

Positive. Forward looking. Refreshingly free of unproductive curmudgeony (Is that a word?) Although this describes me to a T, the "Who's Who" group has overlooked me.

I will say this. I've looked over their list and found myself saying "Who?" a lot.

Jonathan is promoting himself in the "politics" category, as well as 14 other refreshingly forward blogs in different categories. And they're all doing the same thing, basically ensuring that each of them gets a minimum of 15 votes per day. He's gaming the system, and is doing so because The Morning Call is clearly letting him do so.

If The Morning Call were really interested in determining the best LV blogs, all it would have to do is look at the ratings at Technorati, which lists blogs rankings, based on the number of visits, and authority, based on links from other blogs. Instead, they've conned a group of bloggers into making idiots out of themselves, and pumping massive votes a la Ron Paul.

Do these phonies want to compare Technorati ratings with me? I don't think so.

I don't begrudge The Morning Call's pursuit of the Almighty Dollar. I do take offense when journalists are willing to let nominees game any product, whether it's a blog or a hot dog. It's dishonest and inaccurate.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the area of 'Political Bullshit", there is no question O'Hare, you win hands down. Whenever one wants to read psychotic rantings for a relief from the real world, your blog is just the thing.

If we want to read about the latest farts, burps and divine sneezes from the likes of Angle, Stoffa and Dent, again this is the place.

You are noticed, silly little man.


The Holy Truth

Anonymous said...

I found myself nominated in three categories. I did post on Facebook about my nominations and asked for votes once, but I've decided against further self-promotion because if I'm named a winner, I'd like it to be purely organic and on merit.

Since I don't see many hits coming from the nomination page, I know there are not many people exploring blogs and deciding who to vote for based on their review.

Instead, it's a popularity contest, depending on a push from the bloggers themselves. Sure, I could get tons of votes if I asked for them. But it feels kind of icky to ask for votes outright.

Good luck to all the nominees!

Anonymous said...

Have a nice tall glass of fracking brine and relax, Bernie.

Anonymous said...

Newspapers won't be around next year anyway, so it's no big deal.

Anonymous said...

What is the Morning Call?

Anonymous said...

Bernie, unfortunately there are a couple of things here:

Jon is young an naive. He hasn't yet learned how important ethics and credibility are.

Also, Jon doesn't like voting except when it's rigged. For evidence, look to how he wants Allentown to decide whether to consolidate municipalities in Lehigh County, and take that decision away from the municipalities.

It's a shame, but we raised these kids so it's our fault.

Jon Geeting said...

Try signing in with Google or Facebook. That's worked a few times for me, but not consistently. Jenna Portnoy also told me she would tell the tech people. Really annoying.

Curmudgeony is not a word. Curmudgeonry may be. I like the first one better.

The rest of this is just sour grapes. Everything that's possible within the rules is fair game, including organizing. That's how all elections work. Do we say that political elections are unfair just because turnout is dominated by the biggest partisans? Of course not. If you're so popular, why can't you get 15 people to vote for you every day? If people like your blog so much, why don't they want to help you? Why can't you mobilize them?

Anonymous said...

See what I mean Bernie? He doesn't understand what ethics or integrity stand for. And why it's wrong.

If Jon is representative of the youth of America, we're fucked.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"The rest of this is just sour grapes."

This would be true if the contest were over. What I am saying is that I refuse to play this game. I do not really consider blogging a game, and there is nothing fair about a contest in which many people can't even sign on and participate.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Instead, it's a popularity contest, depending on a push from the bloggers themselves."

I'd have no problem with a popularity contest, but don't like a blogger-driven race, as this has become.

Anonymous said...

yawn... who cares. chest thumping, the whole lot of you.

"He doesn't understand what ethics or integrity stand for"... so says the anonymous commentator (this coming from the also anonymous commentator... irony?)

Blogging has no ethics, certainly none that I've seen. It's like the wild west with carpal tunnel. We've seen instances in this area where one blogger has just about created a three-ring circus in his head and injected it into the internets (holla g W), a young blogger who fancies himself so damn smart that everybody else is dismissed as old and dumb (well, some of us are young and dumb and quite content) others who resort to name calling, reliving the battles he lost 20 years ago and attempts at generational one-upmanship (here's looking at you MM), O'Hare showing up at the mayors front steps to take a picture (creepy) and yet another who has taken the motif and actually started a blog that introduces parallel dimensions (I'm thinking he may be on to something). The only flashes of sanity seem to come from the bloggers who give it a go and then leave b/c the rest of the lot is craZY.

Bloggers are essentially columnists, nothing more, nothing less. Read them with the same grain of salt applied to Bill White and Paul Carpenter, though I will always give Bernie props for being entertaining.

Having recently done an analogies lesson, blogging is to journalism as WWF is to free style wrestling.

Oh snap... Vince McMahon's wife ran for US Senate! There's a cross over of crazies...

Don't forget to tip your servers. I'll be here again next weekend (I don't care that its really Tuesday). You've been a wonderful audience. Thank you... no seriously, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. This is the most pathetic post ever. I almost feel bad for you.

Anonymous said...

There are so many online contests that work based on votes. Take a look at the Lehigh Valley Music Awards. Sure, talented people but have you heard of most of them? Are they THE BEST MUSICIANS in the valley? No, but they have a strong fan base, and they promote online voting.

I agree that simply winning a contest by getting the most votes doesn't indicate "the best of" anything, but what it can do is get people to notice. These bloggers have day jobs, families, and (most) blog on the side. This is a chance for some free advertising, and who wouldn't want that?

I've been turned on to several new blogs I wasn't aware of because of this contest. Whether or not they win, whether or not they are "THE BEST" means much less than feeling pleased to see people in my community caring about it enough to share their experiences in a public way. I've learned about some new places to eat, some local news, some thought-provoking perspectives. I'm leaving satisfied.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bernie~
I can sign into the voting page and I vote for you every day. You are currently in 2nd place in the "Politics" category and in 4th place in the "Misfits" category. Hope that helps!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks for your vote. I can't get in there at all.

Donald said...

Interesting
And once again I am sorry I read the comments. Mean, petty for no real reason - and the worst ones were from people without the true courage of their convictions to tell us who they are.

It's all pretty silly to generate this much heat.

Anonymous said...

Bernie wins he just provided the MC with 23,391 signatures on his petition!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Heh heh. That was pretty good.