About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 30, 2010

LV Conservative Voice PAC Hiding Contributors

According to its Ronald Reagan-decorated webpage, LV Conservative Voice is a "Political Action Committee made up of valley residents, from all walks of life, who believe that liberty, opportunity, and prosperity stem from economic freedom." For $100, you can be a "minuteman." $500 makes you a federalist. And $1,000 makes you one of the "Founding Fathers," right up there with George Washington and Benedict Arnold.

State campaign finance records reveal that this PAC has made three contributions this year: $300 to state house candidate Ron Shegda; $1,961.33 to failed Gubernatorial candidate Sam Rohrer; and $500 to Lehigh County Republicans. But there is no campaign finance report online filed by the PAC itself, enabling the public to follow the money.

Who gave this PAC the money for Rohrer, Shegda and County Republicans? We simply don't know. According to state campaign finance law, once a PAC spends more than $250 for one candidate or $1,000 total, it must file reports just like the candidate. In this case, this means that LV Conservative Voice should have filed reports in Harrisburg on May 7 and June 17. But no report appears online, depriving the public of its right to know.

Last year, I won a fruit basket in one of their raffles. I wonder if that makes me an accessory.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, what do you think of this?

Anonymous said...

Any PAC should follow the rules. In this case I think I feel an oversight is the cause rather than something more sinister as Bernie’s headline implies. For the record I am no longer involved with this PAC.

Scott Armstrong

Bernie O'Hare said...

Whether intentional or not, the reality is that the very purpose of campain finance laws has been obfuscated here. People hasve a right to know just who is funding political campaigns. And Scott, you may have left this group, but there are two CPAs on the executive committee.

Alan Earnshaw said...

Each of the three times I've filed my nominating petitions as a candidate, I was handed specific, detailed information about campaign finance disclosure rules and the deadlines for filings. Perhaps PACs are not given the same level of information when they register, but I don't consider that a valid excuse. If you're going to create and operate a PAC, you'd better invest the time to understand the laws and ensure you comply with them.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

I believe I brought to your attention today the personal reasons that these reports have not been filed. If you could confirm this I would appreciate it so that no discredit is cast upon this PAC at this time.

Scott Armstrong

Bernie O'Hare said...

I confirm there are personal reasons that these reports have not been filed.

Anonymous said...

What is this some behind the scenes hanky-panky O'Hare.

Where is the transparency, where is the truth? What are these alleged personal reasons that your pal Scottie has alleged.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I understand why the report has not been filed. I'd state the reasons, but they are personal, and i certainly won't disclose them to an anon. I'll disclose them to anyone who emails me and asks.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Pete Shaffer who was the treasurer of LVCV passed away today.

Scott Armstrong