About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, May 03, 2010

Frank Scagliotta: Commitment, Integrity & Responsibility

Teacher for 35 years. Head football coach at Bangor High. Member of Pa. Coaches Hall of Fame. NCAA basketball referee. Former Bangor Council member. Master's Degree.

That's Frank Scagliotta in a nutshell. I met him at his Bangor home yesterday to discuss his candidacy for the Democratic nomination to the 137th state house seat. State Rep. Rich Grucela is retiring at the end of this year.

When I arrived at Frank's home, he and Bangor's former varsity baseball coach were watching TV. Was it the Phillies? IronPigs? ESPN? Nah, they were watching Bonanza.

Q) Two state legislative leaders have been convicted of using their office for political or personal gain while others are under indictment. Will we ever change the way business gets done in Harrisburg?

A) Well, I think not only on a state legislative level, but nationally, too, politicians have developed a corrupt look to the people. If you're asking me, how can we change that, I think we have to get more people who are ethical, who have the integrity to do the job out there. I think as voters, the rank and file people, when we see incidents such as this, it's our job to remove those people.

Q) Does this have something to do with your decision to run?

Partly. Not solely that, Bernie, but partly. I've always felt as a football coach ... I preach to my players about commitment, integrity, the right way to play the game. That's a lesson that goes beyond football. I try to teach them that about life.

And this is a big part of what's going on out there. We're not seeing the commitment, the integrity and the responsibility that we thought these people would have when we voted them in office. Like it or not, it has to come back on us as voters.

Q) According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Pennsylvania has the largest full-time and second most expensive legislative branch in the nation. Is it time to cut back?

A) If we're spending money for something good, and results of what we're spending the money for are positive, then I don't think that money is going the wrong way. But we do have a very large budget of spending money out there right now for legislators, and obviously, they're not doing the job.

How do we go about cutting the expense of big government? Where you have to start on this is with the budget itself. They don't do this anymore. When they take the state budget, Bern, they don't start at zero and say, this is what we need for this year. They look at what they did last year, and then add to it. So what's happening is it's ballooning larger, larger and larger, and thus we get what you're talking about, bigger and bigger government.

At home, if I can make the analogy to home, when I see that I'm struggling financially, I need to sit down and look, item by item, to see where I'm spending my money and is it worthwhile.


Q) How can you prevent a devastating budget impasse like the one we suffered last year?

A) Well, the first thing is getting people to work together so you don't get to that point of a budget impasse. Teamwork. Using my coaching background ...

Q) You were a Republican until not long before you decided to run?

A) Well, originally, I was a Democrat. I switched to the Republican party to help some of my friends who were running on the Republican ticket. My family, my mom, my dad, everyone was registered Democrat. My wife's side of the family was very strong in he Republican party, so we switched. But I felt that now that I'm running for an office such as this, I should go back to my grass roots, to where it all started for me, and that is with the Democratic party.

Q) So do you feel you can work with Republicans?

A) Absolutely. I think that's part of the problem - locally, statewide and nationally. We can't get Republicans to work with Democrats, Democrats to work with Republicans. I thought we were supposed to be working for the people. I realize the political system is intact and we're not going to wipe that out, but we're here to represent the people. That's our job. And what we want to do is the best job we can for the people, whether we are Republican or Democrat. In all honesty, when I voted in elections, when I was registered as a Republican last year, I voted for some Democrats. I've always tried to vote for who I think is the best person for the job. The partisan politics doesn't fly anymore, and people are sick and tired of it.

Q) The biggest concern people have is taxes, especially property taxes. Despite the promise that gambling revenue would reduce or eliminate property taxes, they go up nearly every year. How will you help people, especially seniors on fixed incomes?

A) No question that's a concern I have, too. In District 137, we do have a lot of senor citizens. They're on fixed incomes, and with property taxes going up, we need to do something to help them, even if it's some kind of plan where, when they reach a certain age, their taxes are reduced a certain percentage. But there has to be some plan to help these people.

The simple fix would be if we could attract more industry to come to our area in District 137 so that we could have a bigger corporate tax base, less property tax base. We need to do a better job in trying to get businesses to come here. I realize some people are going to complain about corporate taxes, saying that they don't pay their fair share now, but you have to do something to entice them to come. I don't think we're doing that very well.

We need to get more industry in this area. I'm going to take Bangor Area School District, and ask, what industry is there? We had Majestic, which was one of our largest employers. They moved out. What do we have? We've got to market that. Our school superintendent, John Reinhart, worked very actively on a committee to try to attract business. We need to do that. The money to run our schools, our County, the local municipalities, it's gotta' come from somewhere. Right now it's coming from property taxes.


Q) There are those who will look at you and say, not another teacher! How do you respond to these people?

A) When I hear people say another teacher, I think a teaching background is an advantage to this in that I've been working with people. Obviously, I've been working mostly with young people, preparing them to become citizens. I've been teaching American Government and Consumer Economics for a number of yeas, which has kept me in touch with the community. Being a teacher, I've been constantly involved in supporting our community in one way or another. Being a teacher and a coach, and I'd like to add that part, it gives me another distinct advantage. I've been in the arena, I've been competing, I've had the pressures and stress of involvement that way, learning how to handle adversity and come back to work towards victory.

When people say anther teacher, I'm more than just a teacher. I'm a coach. I'm a referee. Ask how many of you can go in front of 50,000 people and make a decision when 25,000 of them want to hang you. You learn to do what's right.

I'm more than just a teacher. I'm a coach, a referee, a parent ... there's a millon roles I have to play that I think are advantageous.


Q) I have to say it's very motivational talking to a coach. I feel like I should go out and run a few laps right now.

A) [laughing] Well, if you have any eligibility left, maybe we can use you.

Q) Is there anything else you'd like LVRamblings readers to know about what's going on at the state house?

A) What I'd like them to know, Bernie, is that I'm a man who, once I make a commitment, I am with that commitment 24 hours a day. If the people of District 137 vote me in to this office, they can rest assured that I will do everything possible to support them, to listen to them, and do what's right for District 137 in Harrisburg.

Scagliotta's Democratic opponent is Charles Dertinger. There are also two Republicans running for this seat, Don Alabanese and Joe Emrick.

I'll be talking to Albanese today. Dertinger and Emrick have both declined an interview request.

33 comments:

Sanctifying Grace said...

Frank "is good people." This guy is as stand up as they come. He gives out of his time and knowledge to help anyone that needs it. He isn't on an ego trip, either. He never forgot his roots and never forgot the little guy.

Peace, ~~Alex Joseph

Anonymous said...

Bernie,
Please consider a separate blog for readers to post concerns regarding the oil leak crisis.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I missed his answer to the teacher pension crisis. Also how he feels about double-dippers. That must be in the next interview

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 7:39, I had a blog about the oil leak crisis on Friday.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 8:56,

Why didn't I ask that question? Because your whole objection is really a canard. Who cares whether he gets a pension after teaching for 35 years? People who work usually are entitled to one. If he works another job, he'll get another pension if he puts in enough years. If he does not get it, someone else will.

The real problem with public sector pensions is they should be defined contribution as opposed to defined benefit. But it's just silly to suggest that people who work two different jobs for the requisite years should be deprived of a pension.

Incidentally, the only real double-dipper is a person who weorks a job, retires, and then is hired to do the very same job. That's double-dipping.

He will be at the LWV on Tuesday night fora candidates' night. You can go and ask that question.

Anonymous said...

oh no the germantown guy. Bernie better take his meds

Anonymous said...

"Who cares" about the pension crisis? Let's start with the taxpayers.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, Permission to Change Topic. There's too much news and too little time.
Remember your post regarding Rising Tide business loans and someone's statement that only 4 of the ___? business had closed.
That "only 4" figure has continued to rub raw as even is indicated in Sunday's Call article on Allentown's small business loans that states:
"Pawlowski, citing statistics from the Small Business Administration that show half of small businesses close within the first five years, said the numbers show the program is meeting expectations."

Half it states. You stated you never did gain access to CACLV data to indicate which of the Rising Tide loaned businesses remain open and which closed.
Perhaps now CACLV will provide that information to the taxpaying public.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed that oil crisis blog.

Anonymous said...

Won't go into the pension issue again, though your "who cares" really seemed out of character for someone who cares enough to blog about government, taxes, etc., And, since you thought the issue important enough to post about more than once, a question as to what he would do to solve the pension crisis would have been relevant. I don't think you would have left the papers off the hook there, and rightly so.

I see another go along to get along, nice guy everyone likes, at the end of one public career ready to assume another. Expedient, for sure. Switched parties to help friends. Why should anyone think he will abandon that thinking once in Harrisburg? And the part about how we aren't necessarily spending too much, just maybe not so wisely, is telling. He certainly should keep the "D" handle, though too many "R's" think that way as well.

As for the teaching/coaching background, these aren't 15-18 year old kids he'll be trying to persuade and influence. They are sharks. Some brilliant, others quite dim. But they have their agendas, and they will push back. No principal to send them to when they don't play along. Can't make them do pushups or run laps or kick them off the team.

The answers were general and non-committal. Does he have a signature issue or specific goal other than getting people to work together? Hell, everyone says that.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Won't go into the pension issue again, though your "who cares" really seemed out of character for someone who cares enough to blog about government, taxes, etc.,"

Sure, I care about defined benefit v. defined contribution pensions, but it's unfair to criticize someone who is collecting a pension he's earned, even two or three pensions. The whole notion of double dipper applies only to someone who works in the public sector, retires, then is hired to do the exaqct same job while collecting a pension. That is true double dupping. The other criticisms are nothing more than jealousy at the good fortune of someone who worked for something and got it.

We do need pension reform, but do not achieve it with blanket attacks at those who earn them and cannot be legally dep[rived of them.

As I indicated, there is a candidates' night tomorrow in Wind gap. You can go there and make your concerns known.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"The answers were general and non-committal. Does he have a signature issue or specific goal other than getting people to work together? Hell, everyone says that."

Actually, everyone does not say that. Dertinger pushed for a party nomination knowing damn well he had an opponent from his own party. So I find it refreshing when a newcomer comes along and talks about what you seem to consider meaningless. Not all of us consider things like commitment, integrity & responsibility to be meaningless.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 11:04, You are comparing apples and oranges, a Pawlowski grants' slush fund to Rising Tide's microlending. They have nothing to do with each other.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, another teacher in Harrisburg ...

meanwhile, where does he stand on abortion restrictions (or not), illegals, future tax increases, tolling I-80, and the type of gun restrictions discussed by Rendell and several mayors?

I truly enjoy this blog. But I learned nothing about Frank except that he's a nice guy who wants another government job. I understand journalism is not your forte', but these are issues that will likely be debated and decided by our state legislature in coming months.

Perhaps if Grucela and Freeman and Dally had been pressed on these actual issues they'd be deciding, we would get a better legislature than the miserable one they helped comprise.

I think an opportunity was missed here.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 12:35,

What I think you're saying is that I did not ask the questions you would have liked me to ask. It's certainly true I am no trained journalist. Maybe I should have jumped into those specific matters, but I think getting to know what makes someone tick is equally important. I attempted to do that while covering some of the major issues.

Tomorrow night, the LV LWV is sponsoring a candidates' night in Wind Gap at the Fire Co, 7 PM. I'd suggest you go there and ask the questions on issues where I failed you.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,
Did Dick Cowen find his clock?
You really need to file a follow-up blogette report!

Anonymous said...

Anon 11:53, you hit the nail on the head. Several nails in fact. Frank will be a do-nothing nice guy, if he wins.

Anonymous said...

Is this about Frank scag or your hatred of Charles? small mind

Anonymous said...

Excellent , excellent point about benefits (12:25).If people have worked five jobs and get five pensions hurray for them..Most are just jealous..This issue killed jimmy Derlgrosso's mayolty campaign and it really wasn't fair..However, people noticed that it works when you attack on that issue so they use it..

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Did Dick Cowen find his clock?
You really need to file a follow-up blogette report!"


I'll ask.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Is this about Frank scag or your hatred of Charles? small mind"

Actually, the body of my post makes little reference to Dertinger, except for his refusal to agree to an interview. Here, in the comment thread, I point out that Dertinger persuaded NC committeemen to endorse him over someone from his own party. That is also factual.

Anonymous said...

re Bernie's 2:12pm post - and in the same breath as Frank's opponents say he's a "party man" and Grucela's boy, Dertiner's the one who sought out the party nomination. Those same opponents point out he switched from R to D. Which is it? Can't have it both ways?

Maybe he's none of the above and just "good people" as Alex Joseph stated above to start off the comments?

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's an, "I'll do what is politically expedient and maybe pick up another pension along the way" guy?

Lot's of party switching. Lot's of locker room and pep rally generalities that sound great on TV shows. Lots of what we don't really need more of in Harrisburg.

Nice guy in the state house? No, thanks. Will he be expecting cash from the PSEA? Let's ask relevant political questions next time.

Bernie O'Hare said...

If Scagliotta were really interested in playing politics, he would have remained a Republican. As the most recent election attests, the nation an LV is more conservative now than they were just a year ago. I view his decision to switch as a statement of principle on his part.

So far as I know, his campaign is running on a shoestring budget with no special interest money, at least at this stage. That;s a far cry from Dertinger, whos bankrolled by unions.

Anonymous said...

Integrity, commitment, and responsibility are not meaningless. They have become, sadly, political buzzwords that everyone everyone uses.

Let's say this guy is a Saint. He goes to Harrisburg and does the Dally and Grucela shuffle. No one disputes they are also "good guys".

However, as neither lifted a finger to help avert the oncoming pension trainwreck, a system that you yourself agree is in desperate need of reform, did they show commitment, integrity or responsibility and act in the best interests of the state's taxpayers?

One final point about integrity. Does one have integrity if one chooses to exploit a situation just because it is legal, even when it is not equitable or moral to do so? When it comes to the prison guards and nurses exploiting what is technically legal, I think you've correctly pointed that out as just not doing the right thing.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I believe part of the reason why Grucela and Dally left is because they have too much integrity to remain there. They both tried, very hard, to effect change. Grucela and Dally have both hinted at the difficultes they encountered.

Joe Brennan, another state rep who is seeking re-election, has stated he would only stay for ten years total.

Your argument presupposes they never lifted a finger to help their constituents and that is just plainly wrong. Dally strove for a constitutional convention. Grucela advocated a unicameral legislature. They both stood u to House leaders in refusing to take the pay grab. They both sent their COLA increases to Northampton County's Human Services, a fact that has been confirmed by Direcotr Ross Marcus.

You condemn them without really knowing them or what they have worked for. You condemn them for accepting pensions they have earned. You act anonymusly, but they're ot there, in the public eye. You hate teachers, but ironically use a Germantown School District IP to wage what seems to be a personal war.

I do not support people who abuse the pension system, and that would include public sector employees who legally rack up OT to increase their pension. But we're not talking about that.

Let's say Grucela did not hold his state house seat. Wouldn't someone else be collecting a pension for those years eventually. It makes now difference whether three people accept three different pensions or one person accepts three so long as that one person does the work to earn those pensions. Your objection is based on jealousy, not policy.

Ironically. school district taxpayers are paying for the computer system you currently use to trash teachers.

If you have such hatred for these guys, go to tomorrow night's candidates' forum and voice your concerns.

Anonymous said...

You're mixing me up with someone else, I realize my anon causes that. My ISP is Verizon and my IP address always shows up as a server in Philly, but I have no idea why it would indicate Germantown School District, if you are seeing the same one. I've seen you go after that person on Grucela threads, but we are not the same. I'm self employed, live in NC and post from my home PC when biz is slow or at night because this has been a good place to mix it up.

I posted a long time ago that I remained anonymous so my kids and wife don't suffer my opinions. As for hating or jealousy, you couldn't be more wrong. Greece's economy just about blew up because of the out of control public salaries and pensions, and had to be bailed out. Are people who think that is wrong just jealous haters? Shall we wait until all the nice people get us to that point before we stand up and call it for what it is, so we don't get labeled jealous haters?

In the end, I commented on my impression of the original post, and asked a question. Then I countered points made in a discussion, but because they were contrary, I'm an anonymous coward. Many times we have been in agreement, there was nothing wrong with my anonymity then.

I get it.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I don't think you do get it. You basically stated that Grucels and Dally both lack integrity. When you go there, you are getting personal and need to identify yourself. You know how I feel about that. If it's something you're unwilling to say with your name attached to it, you probably should not be saying it anonymously.

The Germantown SD poster was on here at the exact time that you were posting and since you were making his argument, I thought it was a continuation of that.

As far as Greece goes, the money paid to Dally and Grucela is by no means outrageous especially considering the time they put in. You chose to attack two of the guys who honestly did try to make a difference.

And you must know that there is no way you can retroactively change a pension, once it is in effect. You would be opening the floodgates to all kinds of litigation.

I'm on board with pension reform. I've advocated that many times. But stop slamming someone who worked for reform and is only taking what he earned. If that's not jealousy, then what is it?

Grucela and Dally are both leaving or gone, so I think they are entitled to a little more respect than if they were still in office.

You talk about your wife and kids. They have wives and kids, too. I know for a fact that some of the things written here hurt.

Anonymous said...

Bottom, line is if you go after an Ohare mancrush you are wrong. He will spin, twist and bend any statement to fit his agenda.

His 2ND most loved mancrush, John Stoffa(second only to Ron Angle) collects 10 or 12 taxpayer pensions and paychecks but that's cool. If it were someone Ohare hated he would have some reason why that is different.

In fairness to Frank, since I don't know him, I need to hear more. His answers were generic and Ohare soft-balled him with the questions.

Remember that much of what has Ohare in love with Frank is his love of Grucela and his hatred of Dertinger. In all honesty there is no question Dertinger knows more about the issues of state government than Frank but you will never here Ohare say that.

This is all so predictable just as is every thing Ohare posts.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yet here you are, reading these predictable posts.

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:52 is providing a valuable service by monitoring your posts and calling out your bullshit. There may be a few folks around who actually think this blog is fair and balanced.

God help them. God and anon 8:52.

Bernie O'Hare said...

And here you are at the witching hour,calling me out

Anonymous said...

I live in the 137th - down yonder from the Slate Belt. "Scag" doesn't seem to know anything at all about the rest of the district outside of the BASD. For instance, it is a loss to the Bangor area that Majestic moved, but Majestic moved to Palmer Twsp. which is also in the 137th. It doesn't seem like the Dems have any good choices - party switcher Scag or party opportunist Dertinger Forgive me if I'm not exactly enthused