About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, February 01, 2010

Do You Like DISQUS?

As readership at this blog has grown over the years, so has the number of trolls who post hateful and inflammatory remarks. Their comments often have little or nothing to do with the subject. Regulars are insulted. False accusations are made. Misinformation is spewed.

All of this detracts from meaningful conversation, and several of you have complained about the hate, urging me to moderate comments. I am reluctant to do that because I enjoy the spontaneity of real time exchanges. I am also reluctant to force people to identify themselves because many people have good reason to remain anonymous.

This weekend, I installed DISQUS (pronounced discuss) as the comment system for posts on this blog. I've noticed it takes a little longer to view comments than is the case with Blogger. But if you choose the "Guest" option, you will still be able to retain your anonymity. As a guest, you must include an email address, but I've noticed you can make one up. So the Banker or Not So Casual Observer can still retain their distinctive name and anonymity.

The plus side for me is that I can restrict comments containing offensive phrases or words. I can even block the IP of someone who posts garbage.

In fact, while I was still sound asleep on Sunday morning, DISQUS caught one of my usual trolls, whose comment was sent into a Spam folder.

So I will continue to use this comment system experimentally. It will never eliminate, but should minimize, the trolls.

As with anything new, this will require an adjustment. If you don't like this system, I'll return to Blogger. If you have problems or criticisms about it, please let me know. If I have to put up with the trolls for the many worthwhile comments here, I'll do so.