About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lou Hershman: The Allentown Watchdog Reports

Lou Hershman may have fallen short in the vote count department on November 3rd, but his interest in Allentown is as intense as ever. The day after his defeat, this 73 year-old was at a city council meeting, sitting in the peanut gallery.

He was also at tonight's budget hearing while I watched his grandson and my grandson do lay ups in basketball practice. I think I had more fun.

Lou called me when to report that Pennrose, a big Pawlowski campaign contributor, was at tonight's hearing, hands out, waiting for their payoff. He also tells me Council member Peter Schweyer wants to pull the plug on Lights in the Parkway.

I will post these Watchdog reports as I get them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be awesome if Lights in the Parkway were cancelled. So much work is required to get that ugly display up and running, and the city is short-staffed as it is. Lights in the Parkway is used for one fundraising purpose - to fundraise for special events. I think the taxpayers would rather see city workers doing the jobs we need them to do, and let the Chamber of Commerce or the Allentown Brew Works plan the special events.

Anonymous said...

Do the funds raised at Lights only go to special events? I thought it was a fundraiser for the City's general fund?

The Banker

Chris Casey said...

I believe Lights in the parkway is a black hole for the city with many hidden costs. I also think it a travesty againstthe stated purpose of the park.

Way to go Pete!