About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, November 02, 2009

Is it Time For a Republican on Allentown City Council?

Six candidates - Joe Brudnak, Mike D'Amore, Julio Guridy, Lou Hershman, Ray O'Connell and Mike Schlossberg - are duking it out for four open seats on Allentown City Council. On my left sidebar, you will see links to information about each of these candidates, which I have updated throughout the course of this campaign. They include a revealing series of interviews with The Morning Call's Jarrett Renshaw at Valley 610.

The prevailing view is that all four Democrats will sweep, as they did four years ago. But I think Hershman just might knock Guridy off. He's running as a Republican, yet has lots of Democratic friends on Allentown's east side. Even Morning Call columnist Bill White, certainly no Hershman fan, acknowledges Hershman is a better choice than Guridy.

"I will say this for him. All things considered, I would prefer someone like Hershman, who at least has saved the city some money over the years with his dogged, micromanaging attention to detail -- except with the police contract -- to many of the sleepwalkers who have filled council seats over the years, including Guridy."

Pam Varkony, who served on City Council with Lou, knows him better than most. "I will tell you he drove us all insane with his endless complaining and flood of memos. But underneath the mumbling and frenetic stream of consciousness, I believe Lou is honorable and honest, and that he cares deeply for the city. Looking over the field of Council candidates, he is the only hope for a voice in the wilderness to cry out against the abuses of what has become the Pawlowski machine."

In contrast to Hershman, Guridy is described by Bill White as one "of the rubber-stampers who had helped Mayor Roy Afflerbach lead the city to the point of fiscal disaster." He adds that Guridy spent his second term "the same way he had spent the previous four years, providing no check and balance at all."

Guridy, incidentally, is the sole council candidate who amazingly objected to being filmed during a candidates' debate. White has an opinion about that, too. "[I]f I had his record as a toothless watchdog of the executive branch, I might be camera-shy, too."

My second choice is Ray O'Connell. I got to know him during the candidates' nights, where he delighted in teasing me. He exemplifies everything that is right about the Queen City. Like most Allentown people, he's friendly and down-to-earth. He plays down his advanced education, and laughed off my early criticism that he thought he was running for the school board. He is also the only city council candidate who was willing to admit publicly that the anonymous robo call campaign against Lou Hershman was wrong. That took moral courage, something badly needed on Allentown City Council.

I also like Mike Schlossberg. He's been kicked around quite a bit by the old farts, but is smart and energetic. Coming from the nonprofit sector, he already speaks two languages - English and Bureaucrat. He can actually understand what they're saying! I'd give him one term to see whether he is willing to provide independent oversight or whether he views city council as a stepping stone to something else.

It's hard to be enthusiastic about Mike D'Amore. He runs a good meeting and has challenged Pawlowski from time to time, especially if it involves a union issue. But as Council Prez, he has actively tried to supress public comment, both with respect to controversial Cedar Creek park improvements as well as a botched attempt to muzzle Hershman during courtesy of the floor. To make matters worse, he canceled a meeting last month without re-scheduling a second meeting as required by the city's Home Rule Charter. I was ready to suggest he be given a second term, but he has presided over a council that has allowed city finances to deteriorate without any meaningful oversight.

Joe Brudnak has been a breath of fresh air, but definitely needs more seasoning. he told The Morning Call's Jarrett Renshaw ''I am new at running, and I don't know all about the city's finances.'' With Allentown in fiscal crisis, I expect all candidates to have concrete suggestions.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Guridy rode palowski's wave 4 years ago and has done a big fat ZERO.

Hershman is an old-timer for sure, but the only one who will keep taxpayers informed. "Old" in my view equals experience and maturity to see thru all the garbage the mayor tosses at us.

I will single-vote Hershman, this is his only chance. If you want change, responsibility and accountability, single-shoot Hershman. Damare, Schlossberg and Oconnel will cruise by at least 500vote margins over hershman and guridy.

Hershman wins in a late-night battle by less than 100 over guridy

Bernie O'Hare said...

The first comment, an OT rant about Stoffa, has been deleted.

Sandra Walters Weiss said...

CARPETBAGGERS does the term ring any bells?????

Sandra Walters Weiss said...

So Anonymous, if you make statements like those have some "ca hones" publish your name. The old put up or shut up. I was tarred and feathered and run out of town but if I have something to say I will put my name on it,or my foot in my mouth..It's like hiding behind mommy. Tough Times ....Tough hide

ironpigpen said...

"Repuglicans" are evil bad guys who are the enemy of America, or so I read everywhere in the blogoshpere both here in the Valley and nationally.

Evil rich guys looking to manipulate and exploit the poor at every opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a Republican on councilmbut Hershman isn't really a Republican.

Bernie O'Hare said...

He has a record of fiscal conservatism as a Dem, and certainly is no member of the pawlowski party. He needs your vote or you will certainly end up w/ lapdog Guridy.

Anonymous said...

Democrats: cleaning up Republicans' messes since 1932.

ironpigpen said...

ANON 11:39

Hitting the crack pipe hard today, eh?

Rasmussen Rports today

27% "strongly approve Obama"

40 "strongly disapprove Obama"

Democratic agenda is failing mightily, Chief.

Check out the Democratic Congress approval ratings and, don't forget, Dems have been in charge of Congress since 2006.

noel jones said...

I am a life-long liberal, grew up a Democrat and now Independent, and I am of the firm opinion that the Lehigh Valley needs more Republicans on ALL its councils. A healthy community is a balanced community, with engaged and earnest discourse on all issues, so that everyone learns from everyone else, the most sound ideas rise to the top, and creative vision is balanced with fiscal responsibility.

I cannot get on board with all tenets of the Republican party, but rational, Teddy Roosevelt Republicans (not the screamers that get all the air-time on T.V. lately) do have many good points to make, and I would gladly vote for a moderate Republican simply for the sake of balance and active discourse.

Unfortunately, we don't have any running in our election for West Ward rep on Easton City Council, but we do have Dennis Lieb, who garnered 46% percent of the Dem vote as well as the Republican endorsement. Republicans may not be running, but they could very well determine this election--I hope they do!

Anonymous said...

Democrats are after TOTAL, PERMANENT control at both the national and local levels.

Anonymous said...

Democrats are out to destroy the country as we once knew it.

They ARE trying to establish dependence on government spending.

"Why are you here?"

"To get some Obama money"

Anonymous said...

The thing about Joe Brudnak is that he is a very truthful, and loyal person. Being his nephew, I can tell you first hand that he is exactly what Allentown needs on city council. He is a very good person who loves Allentown and will always do what is right for the city. He won't let you down. When the founding fathers built America, they intended the country to eventually to run by average Americans who will do the right thing. And that is Joe Brudnak, he deserves your vote tomorrow!! As well as Tony Phillips for mayor!!!

dick nepon said...

I cannot in good conscience vote for Pawlowski. If you don't feel that you can vote for Phillips, then I advise you to under-vote; don't cast a vote. The "known" devil is too far gone, too evil, for me to vote for him. Better the unknown, who at least has a chance to choose good advisors. The corruption of our City must stop, now. I say this knowing the penchant for reperisals for which Pawlowski is famous.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Dick, Do you have a death wish?

Sandra Walters Weiss said...

Steve,
I totally agree with you and appreciate your candor instead of mediocre comments that you won't put your name to. Hey, I almost voted for Perot. I consider myself a libertarian and have watched both parties screw up. But the name game, bores me. I don't care if you carry a donkey or an elephant on your back as long as there is Change... Last crack pipe I saw was lying in the Streets of Allentown.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandra! I hope you live in Allentown and vote for Tony! My mom was a small business owner in allentown and is losing her house and car because Pawlowski put her out of business because he wanted her license. Its very sad and he needs to go!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr Dick Nepon, please vote for Tony Phillips tomorrow!!!! I called people and tried to get you more votes to help you beat Pawlowski. Tony is the less of two evils and if people do like you said, dont vote, we will be looking at four more years of Pawlowkski and that will mean the end of allentown!!!

Vote4Tony!!!