About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ken Petrini Has Lowdown on Lehigh County Comm'r Race

Ken Petrini, like me, is an ex-lawyer. Like me, he's become a fixture at local government meetings. I usually stay east of Route 33, while he covers the wild west. A freelancer with East Penn Press, Ken also has a blog called The Allentown Fiscal Responsibility Examiner.

He's published the beginning of a continuing series about the 2009 Lehigh County races. Did you know that Republicans have controlled the Board of Commissioners since the inception of Home Rule over 32 years ago? Or that they also controlled the Executive office until Don Cunningham ran for the seat? This November, there is a very real possibility that the Board of Commissioners will also turn blue.

Here's a summary of Ken's initial analysis.

Executive race: "Now that Cunningham has decided not to run for governor next year and with John Callahan announcing his candidacy for Congress (quieting the Cunning is running for Congress rumors), it seems a certainty that he will be re-elected. Scott Ott faces an uphill battle to say the least and Cunningham has $750,000 in the bank."

Democrats Strong in District 3 (David Jones v. Bob Smith) and District 4 (Dan McCarthy v. Mike Welsh). "Both districts have Democratic registration advantages and incumbent Democrats. "

Percy Dougherty is the strongest Republican incumbent. His District 2 opponent is Marc Basist.

District 1, the seat being vacated by lovable Sterling Raber. "Lynn Township Supervisor Tom Creighton will carry the GOP standard against Jeanne McNeil of Whitehall. The district has a Democratic registration edge but a Republican history. That race may turn on turnout, with the GOP favored in a ho-hum response."

District 5 is the key. "District 5 has been a swing district and Glenn Eckhart, the Republican, won a narrow victory 4 years ago. His race against Hillary Kwiatek may determine control of the Board of Commissioners and at least force Cunningham into some tough decisions in the use of his veto. It is unlikely the Democrats will win control is that can’t win in District 5."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of the guy. Please keep us informed.

Anonymous said...

Who is David Jones?

Bernie O'Hare said...

David Jones is a Life Church employee and Pawlowski pal who lost a race to A-town City Council. He was appointed to a vacancy on the LC Comm'rs. He gives a sermon every time I see him at a meeting. I'm not a fan.

Anonymous said...

What about Kwiatek? Can she win? What is she all about?

My brother lives in West Bethlehem, so does she apparently, and she came to his door campaigning. He said she seemed a little soft on issues.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Hillary Kwiatek is, if nothing else, a worker. Every time I attend a meeting, I see her there. I've even seen her at the LV Health Comm'n. I have to admire and respect that. I suspect she is becoming knowledgable. Glenn Eckhart has a fight on his hands.

I would like to flush her out on some of these issues myself. We'll see if she's willing to talk to me

Anonymous said...

I am sure she would like to flush you out as well. Along with some of your pals.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Really? Now is that nice?

Sanctifying Grace said...

I must pray harder for you.

Peace be with you, ~~Alex

Bernie O'Hare said...

That three part "expose" rehashes a 23 year-old very public history of a difficult time in my life. I suspect it does reveal an ugly truth, but it's about the Villas. He actually encourages me to commit suicide in one of his rants. I have never wished death on another person, but Villa does it quite casually. Not nice people.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The topic here is the upcoming LC races, not me. Villa is obviously having trouble finding an audience for his hate, but that gives him no justification for posting here. I will delete anything he posts when I get to it.

Anonymous said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Lehigh County politics is so staid compared to Norco. It's like watching PBS vs. Jerry Springer.

Anonymous said...

Your nemesis, so not to be profane, has some serious issues.

We all have histories. I am quite sure he has his own.

It is apparent the hate and the venomous attacks directed at you simply reflect the depth of your detractors feelings about himself.

This is sad. The de-compensation in his civility is alarming. I hope someone who is close to this guy will intervene.

I fear one day we will read about him in the police section of the MCall.

Anonymous said...

I have attended Life Church.

Truly believe the founder had good intent when he started this church. But, alas, like many sheep, he seems to have lost his way.

It appears the church has crossed the line and is becoming increasingly engaged in political activity.

I do not know David Jones. Some state he is a preacher.

There has been a long history of dysfunction in the history of this country when the boundaries between politics and religion have become blurred.

That distinction is becoming harder to discern at Life Church.

They need to either get back to saving souls or change their mission to state their intent to promote political agendas.

Can not do both. Preacher Jones you need to decide.

Anonymous said...

Hey when will you publish Parts 4, 5, 6 & 7. I want to read the juciey parts about Stoffa.