About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, August 13, 2009

An Apology to Readers for Sitemeter

Late Sunday night, a reader (Lighthouse) informed me he was having trouble accessing this blog, and was instead being redirected to Google with a "dg.specificclick" message. Unbeknownst to me, my SiteMeter was surreptitiously installing tracking cookies, not directed at me, but at you. It was tracking your browsing history without asking.

For that, I am sorry.

Once I realized what was going on, I replaced SiteMeter with StatCounter. This is supposed to be clean. It is certainly much more detailed. It distinguishes returning visitors and provides a page-by-page history for each of my last 500 "fans." On Monday, for example, I had 1020 total readers, although 137 were folks who would return throughout the day to participate in discussions on different comment threads. On Tuesday, there were 1298 readers, but once again, 329 were people who would return to participate in or read the comment threads.

Compared to the MSM, this is a very small readership. LVR's latest Alexis rating, which has finally broken the top million, pales in comparison to the Express Times (#46,644) or Morning Call (#21,788). But it's an indication that, despite the decline of newspaper circulation, people will always be hungry for local information, even if it comes from a crazy blogger.

9 comments:

Lighthouse said...

"Compared to the MSM, this is a very small readership."

May be, but it provides a forum that often goes into greater depth, or covers topics not covered in the MSM. For example (oh, oh, I feel an "out house" comment coming) during the past County primary, this site's posts--and both the pro and con comments--were very informative.

Keep it going.

Anonymous said...

More like ten visitors, visiting every five minutes to see if you are paying attention to them yet.

Anonymous said...

BO,

I have to agree with LIGHTHOUSE. You write about the good, the bad, and the ugly in the LV. People may choose to love or hate you, but they have no choice but to respect your "hustle". Keep it moving.....

J. BLACK

www.umclv.piczo.com

LVCI said...

I appreciate the fact that this new sitemeter's information is not open to for the public to view.

It seems there was another blogger using your sitemeter's information to expose ISP's individuals who come here to slam/expose them individually on their own blog. Then went on to criticize them for doing so That's why I have kept mine private for the public. To protect my blog's viewers from nefarious predators who'd exploit that.

Bernie O'Hare said...

LVCI,

I did decide to keep those settings private to protect readers' privacy and apologize again about the tracking cookie inserted by sitemeter. I had no idea until I saw Lighthouse's comment on Sunday night.

But to be clear, I have no respect for the privacy of trolls who use comment threads to spew their hate.

monkey momma said...

"It seems there was another blogger using your sitemeter's information to expose ISP's individuals who come here to slam/expose them individually on their own blog. Then went on to criticize them for doing so." - LVCI

Hello Bernie and LVCI - I am curious about this particular comment. I have not been checking the blog that LVCI is probably referencing in the above comment. What exactly are the details that are being "exposed" about certain posters, here or elsewhere? Thank you! And, no, I don't want to check that blog to find out for myself. I'm sure ya'll can understand!

Anonymous said...

Bernie, you only have 1000 readers compared to Express' 46,000 - this may be so. But your 1000 I guarantee are all the judges, commissioners, the mayors, their staffs, other local politicos, business people, movers and shakers, etc... THe people who read your blog whether they hate you or love are the people that influence the lives of the people that are going to the Express Times site looking for a used car, a movie to see tonight, or read about a neighbor that died. You can't compare the two. As an audience, it's quality vs. quantity.

Sanctifying Grace said...

Bernie,

I concur with Anon 12:50 PM. When I was home the last two weeks you cannot believe the people that recognized my handle on this blog. At our Church festival we had at least seven, if not more, politicans working the crowds for support. Most of them recognized me from this blog.

Quality vs. Quantity depends on the standards of the person judging. I think this is the quality that you want.

Peace, ~~Alex

p.s. - this isn't the Iron Shiek. This was his alter personna, Col. Mustafa. In this picture he was one third of the motley crew called The Triangle of Terror. The other two thirds are Sgt. Slaughter and Iraqi Gen. Adnan.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Monkey Mama, I'll pass on that question.