About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Tony Sortino & Jackie Taschner, Two Class Acts

When Gay Elwell first ran for magistrate in downtown Easton, Skip Fairchild gave her a run for her money. This time, he and his wife actually signed Gay's nomination petition. This obviously speaks highly of Judge Elwell's performance on the bench. But it also tells us something about her former opponent, an obvious class act.

We don't hear or read much about the class acts in government, but they're out there. We see it in the race for Northampton County judge. To be honest, each candidate would be an outstanding addition to the bench. The same is true for the magisterial district that includes Palmer Township, Tatamy and Forks.

There are only two candidates in that race - Easton title agent Tony Sortino and Assistant District Attorney Jackie Taschner. Now I support Tony. I've known him twenty-two years and see him every day. I've never seen him lose his cool, even when dealing with a miserable bastard like me. I've seen his common sense and innate judicial temperament in action. He deflates tense situations with the best sense of humor in the Lehigh Valley.

I also know Jackie. She's a very knowledgeable attorney who has spent years helping victims of domestic violence. Can she be fair? A few weeks ago, when I was talking to her about one of her cases, she answered that question. "I'm a prosecutor, not a persecutor."

These candidates, when they found out they were running against each other, sat down and had lunch. They both speak so highly of each other that I'd swear they'd put up each other's signs.

Two class acts. You can't go wrong.

You can read more about these candidates, including answers to some specific questions, in the Express Times Voter Guide.

11 comments:

Raymond Lahoud said...

Bernie:

My support, like you, is with Tony. A good man--I've known him for years and he has never, I believe, shown anything less of the greatest integrity.

Anonymous said...

Im voting for Jackie!! Shes the best of the best!

Anonymous said...

After a lenghy look into the two candidates.I have decided to vote for Mr.Sortino and so will my friends and family.The reason is he seems less likely to have any personal agendas.Everone i have asked about Mr.Sortino the responce always seemed the same.they used the same words which include fair,honest and a peoples person.Good luck to both but final decision was made today.Mr.Sortino

Anonymous said...

Tony is a lifelong Easton Resident. I have known him to help many people. You will never meet a more honest person. May 19th my vote will go to Tony Sortino!!!! Yours should too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Tony we are all Praying for you...You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

O'Hare is correct. Both Sortino and Taschner are a "Class Act". Either candidate will do a good job as the next magistrate. Best of luck to both of you.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The voters are lucky to have such a good choice.

Anonymous said...

Tony has spent a lifetime helping others,now it is time for us to help him.Good luck Tony!!! You are truly a special person.

Anonymous said...

Scissorhands sent out a negative comparison piece against Tony. He loves to use these misleading comparison pieces. I thought Jackie wanted a clean campaign??

Bernie O'Hare said...

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Anonymous said...

When someone does a misleading comparison piece or anything negative, it almost always means that they took a poll and are in trouble. Their goal is knock down the numbers of the person in the lead. It is really sad when this happens.