About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

III. Will Rendell be Obama's Golem?

Thanks to fellow blogger Michael Molovinsky, a genteel Gentile like me knows all about the legend of the Golem, which is kinda' like Superman with a yarmulke. Will Rendell be Obama's golem?

Morning Call (John Micek): Senator Biden and Senator Schumer were in South Florida over the weekend, campaigning heavily among that state's Jewish population. Given the fact that Senator Obama still has trouble locking down support there, I'm wondering if you can talk about whether or not he might face the same troubles in Pennsylvania and what campaigning you might do there for him.

"Well, first of all, remember George Bush - President Bush - did very well among Jewish voters against John Kerry and against Al Gore. So by no means are Jewish voters automatically Democratic. I think there are a number of Jewish Democrats who are not yet sold on the Obama-Biden ticket and that have some concerns, particularly about the Israeli question, the Middle East question.

"I think that it is gonna' take some active campaigning by surrogates like Senator Schumer, but also by Joe Biden, who has tremendous respect of the Jewish community all over the country. Joe will be a very strong supporter, and he'll bring back most of the Jewish Democrats.

"To the extent that I can be helpful, I will do anything the Obama campaign asks me to do. I went to a gathering in Cheltenham of about three hundred Jewish Democrats and I spoke on behalf of Senator Obama and I'll continue to do that if the campaign wants me to do it.

"I was asked to do this by the campaign. I was very happy to do it because I think what's going on is reprehensible. Senator McCain promised he's gonna' run an honorable campaign. It is not honorable to lie about something as fundamental as your opponent's plan on taxes."

Blogger's Note: For a professional's take on yesterday's news conference, check out John Micek's always entertaining Capitol Ideas. Amazingly, he left his own question on the cutting room floor. It was a good one, John!

No comments: