About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I. Rendell: Republicans Can't Govern Their Way Out of a Paper Bag

I'm a blogger, not a reporter. I never pretend to be objective and am so damn opinionated that even insurance salesmen avoid me. But in this Presidential race, I'm about as close as I can get to being objective. This is an accident brought on by hopeless confusion. I was leaning Obama until Palin entered the fray. She's so damn conservative she's sued George Bush over environmental restrictions designed to protect polar bears. But she's also a refreshing breath of fresh air.

So I'm a mess.

Governor Ed Rendell held a telephone press conference yesterday, and I was actually invited. I learned two things. First, I'm still confused. Second, even governors make stupid remarks when talking to a reporter whose questions and comments reveal a very partisan slant. This news conference will come to you in four parts.

Philadelphia Daily News (Catherine Lucey): Given that the economy is the number one issue in the race and given the overall public hatred of President Bush, why do you think there is still so much reluctance among certain parts of the country and in parts of Pennsylvania to support Senator Obama, particularly the so-called Reagan Democrats, who don't seem to be getting on board?

"Well, first of all, I would refer you - although I don't do polls this early in a campaign - but the latest polls in Pennsylvania show Senator Obama winning in Pennsylvania by seven and five per cent. That would be bigger than John Kerry's margin and, in one case, would be bigger than Al Gore's margin.

"I'm not sure that's entirely true, but look- the Republicans can't govern worth a damn. They can't govern their way out of a paper bag. But they sure can campaign well. They are the best at --- [at this point, someone at DNC attempts to conduct another news conference on the same line until someone points out he's on the wrong line] ---

"As I said, they can't govern well, but they sure do campaign well. They would make the all-time all-star team for spiders the way they can spin. They've spun a lot of disinformation about Senator Obama, including taxes, including personal things about his record.

"They decry his experience as a community organizer. Well, number one, I know a lot of community organizers who make tough decisions every day. 'Can I help this person? No. I gotta help that person. I'd love to have enough resources to help everybody but I've gotta' do triage.' Community organizers make those tough decisions, sometimes life and death decisions, that often politicians don't make.

"Secondly, ---

Reporter Catherine Lucey: They're attacking him for something he did when he was twenty-four and twenty-five years old. [Laughing] Come on! Gimme a break!

"But they're great spinners. They're great obfuscators. They set up smoke screens and do it well.

"I believe I'm a credible voice, at least for Democrats and Independents in this Commonwealth, and I've gotta' get out there and tell 'em the truth on taxes, tell 'em the truth on the economic plans, tell 'em the truth on renewable energy, where I think I have pretty good credentials.

"So I intend to be very, very active. Evenings, weekends, sometimes in the middle of the day if I have to, but I intend to be very active in spreading that message. I want every Democrat in this country - every active Democrat, not just elected office holders but every volunteer - to have a tax comparison sheet with them at all times."

Blogger's Note: Photo Stolen From Phildelphia Will Do. Sue me.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Reporter Catherine Lucey: They're attacking him for something he did when he was twenty-four and twenty-five years old. [Laughing] Come on! Gimme a break!"

Wow. More mainstream media objectivity. Fair and balanced 24-7.

Anonymous said...

"They couldn't govern their way out of a paper bag."

Governor, thanks for all that property tax relief you promised. That's still coming, right?

Hey, Governor, thanks for overseeing our extremely ethical and world class gaming legislation.

Whoops.

If there was a Hall of Fame for Fecal Matter Containers Ed Rendell would be in on the First Ballot.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 12:47,

Her initial question also presumes an "overall public hatred" of Bush. Now, that's a tad harsh.

Anonymous said...

Bernie --

"An initial hatred of George Bush?" Hmm, sounds like someone has a serious case of MSNBC (Manic Sociopathic News Bias Complex).

Sadly, the only known cure is a complete Olbermann-ectomy.

And, that's going to leave a scar.

Anonymous said...

I joke, but of course, these people are everywhere in the media.

Hey, hate George Bush, all you want. If that's how it lays for you, whatever.

Just don't try to pass yourself off as some independent decider of the truth whose crap doesn't stink like the rest of ours.

Anonymous said...

Rendell is a model of good government. His next initiative will be legalized dog fighting with the revenues earmarked for sex-selection abortions. Eat another cheese steak and tell us about self-control, Ed.

Anonymous said...

The above deep-thinkers (O'Hare included) don't get it. The reporter's questions and comments in question reflect critical thinking, I'm sure the same barbed observations from media members are made of OBama when he deserves criticism. It's the media's job to attack both sides and stir the pot, news is inherently about conflict. Also, when interviewing a subject a reporter is likely to make sympathetic remarks to encourage the conversation, and good quotes, to flow. But what do I know, I only spent 17 years in the business. BTW, in II. Rendell I called the "cheesteak" attack first at 6:51.
Deep thinkers.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 7:06,

Well, I never took a class in journalism, but felt the reporter was out of line. I listened to all the other reporters and none of them came close to Lucey in sounding that partisan. As for your sympathy argument, she was making the statement after she had already asked her question and had her answer. Moreover, it would be hard to build up some kind of a relationship in tht venue. So I think your analysis is flawed and it appears to me that you are simply trying to find an excuse for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I'm anon 7:16, and Bernie, I never thought of that way.
For a reason.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Please share your reason.

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:16

May I touch your exalted Journalist robes, Oh Pure One?

But take caution, dare you reveal the secrets of the Journalist Guild to the great unwashed, Oh, Opinion Shaper.

Anonymous said...

Anon 2:26: What's your point?
Bernie, here's my thinking: When Bush has the lowest approval rate in recent history (what is it, 30 percent?) it may be hyperbole to say "overall public hatred" but in a closed interview over a conference call with no one else listening but reporters (and you) it is not, "out of line." Very few questions are out of line, unless you favor censorship, or like Palin you believe in book banning. Tell us about the last conference call you had with the governor and a bunch of reporters.
And your observation that it's hard to build a relationship in a conference call is, ahem, "flawed," since a reporter's relationship with a source is built over a life time, not over a phone call.
Finally, since when is Bernie a mindreader? I have some other reason? Oh, that's right, I must have a hidden agenda. Look under the bed tonight before you turn out the light.
I think what we have here is simple hatred of the media (or in blog speak, MSM).
Bernie, if you want to be accepted as a member of the media, and not have a snit when you're not invited to press conferences, try to understand how the media works. Once again, asking strong-worded questions does not mean the reporter believes the underlying premise of the question. The point is to get a response, not make a statement or take a position. That's why PR people train their clients never to answer a simple yes or no to a question: the questions are usually loaded.
And yeah, if you want to paint me as preaching from the temple, that's your problem. This is similar to when an Allentown ZHB member gets called a brown nose for daring to opine about his volunteer work. Forgive me for trying to make my comments credible. This will be the last time.
Finally, to anon 12:47 am, what's wrong with laughing at criticism of a pol for what he did, said or wrote at age 24? "Wow. More MSM objectivity." I don't agree that independent, critical thinking makes one less objective. I know more reporters than all of you combined, and the better ones are cynical of ALL candidates and their attack campaigns.

Anonymous said...

Calling the cheese steak comment re: Rendell is like predicting a sunrise tomorrow morning. The sun will rise and Ed Rendell will maintain his girlish (albeit husky) figure. No news here.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Finally, since when is Bernie a mindreader? I have some other reason? Oh, that's right, I must have a hidden agenda. Look under the bed tonight before you turn out the light."

Dude/dudette, you are the person who claimed to have a reason.

I listened to the reporters. I've watched and listened to briefings on C-Span. I've witnessed real news conferences. I've never seen a reporter show the bias that Catherine Lucey showed.

I understand all that aboput being sympathetic and getting the other person to open up, but she was over the line. Low approval ratings do not translate to hate, and Lucey had no justification for that remark. Also, she actually interrupted Rendell with what amounted to a cheer about Obama. Not one other reporter came close to her in that kind of attitude. her behavior, in my very inexperienced view, was inappropriate.

When I see a reporter act like that, I will continue to point it out.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:19

You've completely convinced me that many reporters are full of crap.

So now I know that reporters don't believe the underlying premise of the questions they ask and that sometimes they just ask a question to stir the pot.

Funny, I've never heard reporters ask the following pot-stirring questions of Obama.

Q. Hey what's with you and that domestic terrorist who hosted your first campaign announcement at his house?

Q. That Greek Temple thing at your acceptance speech really made you look like an idiot. Would you like to do that over?

Q. When you found out that you couldn't get your picture taken in Germany with wounded troops and you bailed out of the appearance, do you realize that makes a lot of people think that you're an arrogant me-first ass?

Q. Do you still think you're grandmother is a racist now that you dumped Pastor Wright overboard.

Now remember, the "JOURNALISTS" wouldn't be asking these questions because they believe them. No, they would be asking them because it would "stir" the pot.

And then Senator Obama, coached by his PR to avoid "Yes" or "No" answers would say: "McCain is just like Bush."

I get it now.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous the exalted ex-reporter

"unless you favor censorship, or like Palin you believe in book banning."

I guess you really are a reporter.

Accuracy? What's that?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

Bernie O'Hare said...

Factcheck.org has an excellent analysis of all the stories swirling around about Governor Palin. Sliming Palin discounts many of the more vicious stories.

The book banning charge is the one that bothered me most. Here's what factcheck, a nonpartisan group, reports: "She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a 'What if?' question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term."

But she is a Republican.

Anonymous said...

Hey BO. I love the picture of the guy wiht the giant scrotum on his head. Great!!

Anonymous said...

anonymous 7:06 "It's the media's job to attack both sides and stir the pot, news is inherently about conflict."

Bernie I always thought that it was the media's job to "report", you know ask good questions.
To attack may be OK for commentators, but is it really OK for "objective reporting" reporters.

And, it is OK to note that the presidents favorable is only 30%, but isn't the congress' rating around 14%? Just a thought.
Bob