About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, June 09, 2008

Three Lehigh Valley Piggies (No Iron in Them)!

By now, most of you must know I'm a baseball bum. So although I roasted, I still thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's sweltering season-opener for the Lehigh Valley Catz, in which exciting college students beat the Hampton Whalers in both games of a double-header. On Sunday, an even hotter day, I was in the stands when the Iron Pigs beat Rochester in extra innings.

For Sunday's game, I was very lucky. My seats, though on the field level, were close enough to the canopy to catch some shade. (Section 108, Row X). Just three or four rows below, you could fry eggs. But nobody, including me, knew that before the game. My grandson stiffed me for Dorney Park. Most women just laughed and hung up when I called and asked them to come.

I was a loner.

But that didn't last long. After a few innings, I noticed a little girl whose face was flushed and looked very, very hot. Her parents let her sit next to me in the space I had because of an extra ticket. A family of six people on my other side decided it was too hot for their kids, and asked me to offer their seats to some other kids.

Then we all met the real Lehigh Valley Pigs. The row in front of us had just opened up, and plenty of kids could have avoided the sun there. But two humongous members of Allentown's Auxiliary Police Department decided to plop their fat asses in that row. Soon, they were on their radios, and before you could say "pork rind," a third uniformed cop joined these tubbies. While they watched the game for three innings, kids below them were melting away.

I was going through a slow burn myself.

I finally asked how these guys could sit in seats they didn't buy when kids below them were pretty hot. I was told to mind my own business. I went back to complain, and kept complaining until an usher was finally sent to get rid of the three not so little piggies.

Now let me be clear. These dudes were uniformed and had Allentown Police-Fire patches, but carried no weapons and were probably just be some auxiliaries who dropped by (without paying) after some traffic control. But it appears that even these guys are using their uniforms to take advantage of others, instead of helping them.

On a dangerously hot day, they should display a little more common sense.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure they weren't Spang's "security?" They go out of their way to pretend to be APD and generally give them a bad a name.

Bernie O'Hare said...

They had City of Allentown "Police Fire" patches, but no nameplates and no weapons. I know they were not real cops.

Anonymous said...

I applaud you Bernie for attempting to help the "little people". I am always in awe when those who are supposed to be the kind to "serve and protect" end up being those who "grab and ignore".
Go figure...

Alfonso Todd

Anonymous said...

Good move Bernie, both for helping the kids and calling the morons on it.

Is it legal to take a picture of them and post it? Nothing like public embarrassment!

Bernie O'Hare said...

If I had my camera, I would have done so, but was actually trying to enjoy a baseball game and didn't think to bring even so much as a pen.

Anonymous said...

Who do those guys report to?

Anonymous said...

Technically, the City of Allentown. Any municipality may swear in and utilize fire police in their municipality.