About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, June 13, 2008

Alfonso Todd and the NonProfit Shuffle

Alfonso Todd, in his latest Lehigh Valley Flavor, writes about all the baloney associated with a $10,000 grant for his nonprofit, and his inability to spend it on anything he thought worthwhile. Alfonso should ask the suits at St. Luke's for a few pointers. Here's a peek at what he says.

So, here I was, a young, inexperienced, owner of a non-profit willing to volunteer and participate with others and getting nowhere. I actually recieved a "Dear John" letter from one of the largest non-profits in the Valley that pretty much stated "thanks but no thanks." Apparently, helping the disenfranchised, uneducated, and poor was not on their agenda.

* * *

The first RED FLAG I should have noticed was that one of the leaders in the non-profit community took me aside at the end of the highly successful event and was like "It's not a matter of IF you are getting the grant, but how much," So, I was like WOW, I guess this is how things work. This same individual started introducing me at meetings and functions as the "Golden Boy" and someone who has a "great future and vision." Okay, again, I am just eating all this up. I mean, just months before, I couldn't get anyone to even notice me and now all of a sudden, after one event, I am like George Jefferson and "moving on up!"

He wasn't the "Golden Boy" for long.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "shout out" Bernie. I actually had a public official ask why I seemed so angry and bitter ? He also stated that this is the way it is in politics and I guess I need to learn how to "play the game." I guess I am a bit too idealistic and will continue to be. But I am definitely NOT sour on the City or people, just the accepted status quo processes. Believe me, if it EVER gets to THAT point, I'll send you a card from Miami,

Alfonso Todd

Anonymous said...

Boonie, you haven't attempted to draw attention to yourself lately by talking about your Dad or your kids. How come ? I prefer you basking in their reflected glory than your constant smearing with your brush of lies.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yep, the "lies" I reported on Monday found their way into The Morning Call today. I guess The Morning Call is lying, too.

By the way, thanks for reading and creating even more interest in this blog by commenting. I can't do it without people like you. Do me a favor and spread the word to a few of your pals.

Geoff Brace said...

I've been working in non-profit settings for 9 years now (childcare and community development). Everyday I am surprised how much of a political leadership role non-profit management really is. Forget the funding questions that you raised: gov't regulations, programs and laws impact all the work we do. The biggest error I see non-profit leaders make is the attempt to remain "apolitical". I'm not saying become a local party committeeman, but non-profit leaders have to engage decision makers. Even if you are a thorn in the side of those decision makers, you have to be able to have civil conversations.

Keep the faith Alfonso. We need political leaders in elected office and in the non-profit world. It's the political leaders that stay focused on their vision that make the greatest impact on the world.

michael molovinsky said...

alfonso, you might well want to take brace's advise and play the game. there's always another position at another non-profit. if you have enough connections you can get the city to spent half a million to deconvert an annoying apartment next door and other perks to enhance your life. just remember, never complete or solve a problem, your job may depend on it.

p.s. i will be teaching diplomacy at LCCC next term if anybody is interested

Geoff Brace said...

Wow! MM takes words of encouragement to play some slash and burn politics. Excuse me while I use this as a reference to further encourage Alfonso and all others to keep up the good fight, even when others opt to slap at your good intentions.

It's a shame community activism is so easily and summarily dismissed. To some of us, politics isn't a "game" to be played. It's a commitment to something greater than ourselves.

Alfonso, it was great to meet you this afternoon. I look forward to our next conversation.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Geoff, I have no problem w/ what MM said. Nonprofit people should not be considered political leaders in a democracy. Nobody elects them. The suggestion that one must be political to be successful in the nonprofit world is, quite frankly, frightening. It's precisely what Alfonso was complaining about in his well-written essay. I don't think that's what you're really saying, and MM is by no means condemning community activism, which is something completely different from being a nonprofit participant.

michael molovinsky said...

geoff, like you and alfonso, i too am a community activist. i have never been appointed to any committee or board. years ago i had a tenant who was appointed to the redevelopment authority, but they didn't appoint me(i had applied). i believe your confusing community activism with being on the establishments' side of the issues. that said, i find your comments on code inspections on donovan's site insightful.

Jhon smith said...

Keep the faith Alfonso. We need political leaders in elected office and in the non-profit world. It's the political leaders that stay focused on their vision that make the greatest impact on the world.