About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, March 14, 2008

Why I Blew Off Last Night's Norco Council Meeting

Some things are a lot more important than blogging or local politics. Kids' baseball is at the top of my list. Yesterday was my grandson's first day of practice at Bethlehem's Northwest Athletic Association. It conflicted with another contentious meeting of Northampton County Council, but I'll gladly blow that off for an opportunity to wear my Iron Pigs hat, spit sunflower seeds and play baseball with the real pros. Kids.

It's magic time, baby!

It's still a little chilly and windy, but the kids and quite a few dads were anxious to get started. In very little time, they were making diving catches in the outfield and stopping bouncing balls in the infield. Base runners were thrilled every time they slid. Every one of us was chewing and spitting. The Blue Bomber, my grandson's magic bat, was put to work.

There was even a walk-on. One of my grandson's friends, a basketball teammate from center city Allentown, has never played baseball a day in his life. He has no glove or magic bat, but came to watch.

Instead of watching, he played. We lent him a glove, and he was sent to the outfield, where one of the coaches hit a high fly ball. He got under it, caught the ball, and threw a bullet from deep left field to second. Turns out this boy is a natural, and no one knew it, not even him. We signed him on the spot.

It's magic time, baby!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you allowed to be in the same neighborhood as children? Did you register in that area before you arrived? Please do our neighborhood a favor and don't come back and blog about our Association, as we will be labeled by your off the wall comments, and lose credibility in NW Bethlehem. Stay in Easton ahere you belong.

michael molovinsky said...

bernie, i know you believe in open and free comments, but i believe you should delete anon 9:02. when does mean spiritedness cross the line? when it insults a father (or grandfather) taking his son to baseball practice. delete it for your grandson's sake, he shouldn't have to be indirectly linked to such sickness.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 9:02,

Wow! Unfortunately, you just did your own neighborhood and association a lot more damage than I could ever inflict. None of the kids or people I have met at that group have acted that way towards me.

I wasn't blogging about your neighborhood or association, but about kids and baseball. And since I signed on as a coach, you'll be relieved to know I had to agree to a background check to make sure I'm safe around kids.

You'll also be happy to know I am so impaired by my back right now that I am useless anyway. All I can really do is stand and watch. I hope that will improve, but you can always hope it does not.

Anonymous said...

Lucky for you Bernie you missed the meeting. I would have blown my stack listening to such comments.

In this day and age, why would someone make such comments against their own brethen and party? Isn't Spitzer a Democrat?

How can another Democrat (Dertinger,) try to justify himself and ridicule another, especially a Republican (Buesing,) by using such unexplainable remarks about Spitzer (D)? Now I know for certain, on a much broader and larger scale, the Democrats will sabotage themselves in the Presidential election.

Makes you wonder about Dertinger's own resume and competency.

As an aside, I can't be around little children, especially when wearing the collar. It makes people uneasy. (Ha-ha!) But give you grandson a high five from me!

~~Alex, Washington, D.C.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks, Father Alex. Hurry up and get ordained. I'm going to need a few years in the confessional with you, and that's with you already knowing many of my sins.

Bernie O'Hare said...

NN, I'll let it stand for what it is. My GS does not read blogs and everyone in my family already knows I'm a little nutz.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,
I coached little league for seven years (and I still have hair!). If I could turn back the clock and make a choice between those days and the days involved with politics, baseball would win every time. Please, don't miss those games. No body really cares if you go to Easton or LC for that matter. And at the end of the day, no one really cares if you are the mayor, a commissioner, or a county executive. But you will always be a dad, a grand dad, or coach. Your grandson, and you, will remember the "blue bomber" for many many years to come. That's why we're here, buddy,that's why we're here.

Anonymous said...

I have been involved with the Northwest programs for many years in almost every capacity short of being a league officer. Unlike anonymous 9:02, I thank you for offering to help the association. Most of us who have actually volunteered there greatly appreciate all the help we can get. I think you have the right attitude toward the game and I hope you and your grandson enjoy your baseball time together.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 6:32,

I appreciate your kind words more than you might know. Your group is a great place for the kids, and I could tell after one practice that they will have a blast this year. I can't believe how many dads are involved. It's wonderful to see.