About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What's a Frickin' Firkin?

If you want to know, you're going to have to visit Susan's ecletic My Right Brain. I should have known. Now I'm going to read her blog on grammar. She has linked to a an article about five grammatical errors that make us look dumb. At one time or another, I've broken every one of them.

1. Your vs. You’re. - Susan, your absolutely right!
2. It’s vs. Its. - Its no big deal.
3. There vs. Their. - Their's always someone making that boo boo.
4. Affect vs. Effect. - This part had no affect on me.
5. The Dangling Participle. - After rotting on the kitchen table for weeks, Joe Owens brought me a plate of scrapple.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Its amazing their are so many helpful people.

Blue Coyote said...

As I learned it is - I before E except after C. Aren't we a weird species. Or did I spell that last sentence right?

Anonymous said...

"Its amazing their are so many helpful people."

"Its" should be "It's" to identify the contraction, rather than a non-human possessive.

Anonymous said...

"As I learned it is - I before E except after C."

... and when sounding like long "a" as in "neighbor" and "weigh" .... and when sounding the way it sounds in "weird". Rules are rules.

Dave Ralis said...

Actually, I think that should say, "It's no big deal." Its implies ownership. It's is a contranction for it is.

I have to go now, Conan the Grammerian wants to hit me with a thesaurus.

Anonymous said...

And my big pet peeve - ensure vs. insure.

Insure means to obtain financial protection - insurance - for something.

Ensure means to to make sure or certain.

It drives me nuts when I see people write, "He will insure that such and such happens."

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie, please ENSURE that this faux pas never happens on your site.

As an on edge conservative these days, it might take very little to set me off!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Joe, I will take every step to insure that doesn't happen. Its always sad to see a conservative cry, and your not getting any younger. Their has to be a way to cheer you up.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna loose my patience with all this Bill Whitey stuff.

Anonymous said...

AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Bernie, now you've done it.

ENSURE - not insure!!!!

Yes, I am not getting any younger, nor handsomer.

While I won't cry, I might grind my teeth with seething rage about this unnaceptable grammatical error... But, you just made the list, buddy.

[From Stripes -
Psycho: The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
Leon: Ooooooh.
Psycho: You just made the list, buddy]