About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Bigotry Alive and Well in the Lehigh Valley

Last month, I cohosted WGPA Sunny 1000 AM's "At Issue" talk show between 8 and 9:30 AM. I even flew solo the last 45 minutes because the Emperor, Ron Angle, said something about needing a haircut or colonoscopy. I like talk radio. I enjoy dialogue with right wing zealots. Some of them are very nice people.

But last month's discussion about prejudice, prompted by the Imus remarks, really bothered me. I'm surprised I don't see more crosses burning in people's front yards. But I now know why my white sheets always disappear when I do laundry.


An elderly black gentleman from Palmer Township called in to say that he had to struggle most of his life to get decent jobs and housing. I believe him. When I was a kid, blacks weren't allowed to swim in Hellertown's municipal pool. They might pollute the water. Courthouse deeds are still full of restrictions banning home sales to blacks, Jews and even Italians.

But we've come a long way, bippy. Blacks can use swimming pools. Deed restrictions based on ethnicity are unenforceable.

But one fellow from Allentown called in to tell me he wished there were restrictions like that in his neighborhood. He hates living among blacks and Latinos, blaming them for all society's ills. And then a lady from Nazareth, my home town, shrieked at me. I was told to leave Nazareth and live among the minorities in Allentown. She also chastised me for not attending school board meetings for some reason. Her parting shrill was that, when she sells her home, she'll make damn sure that it is sold only yo other Amerikans. I guess she wants Nazareth to remain lilly white.

I know what you're going to say. This is the kind of thing that I should expect from right wing talk radio. But actually, I don't think there's that much difference between this radio audience and the rest of us. We just like to think so. It makes us feel superior.

Let me explain what I mean. Yesterday, I had conversations with two liberals about two different subjects. Although both are lawyers, they're still pretty bright. I've known each for many years, and they're both decent guys.

Liberal #1 told me we need to get the hell out of Iraq now. When I pointed out that we would condemn many Iraqi children to certain death, his response was, "Who cares? They're just Arabs anyway. Let them kill each other."

Liberal #2 has read 38 books about the Bush administration. He's just picked up Tenet's tome. Liberal #2 and I spoke about impeaching Bush. He told me, "We shouldn't stop at Bush. We also need to impeach the Dick, Gonzo, and Aunt Jemima."

Those views have been ingrained in us. We view Secretary of State Condi Rice as Aunt Jemima. Arabs aren't as human as the rest of us. And so on.

Whether it's Lehigh Valley talk radio or our local liberal elite, we're pretty much all bigots. We just don't know it.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

O'Hare, be honest. There were no pools when you were a kid.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

I have this strong belief, we are only one generation from eliminating racism. If we can get one generation to stop teaching it to the next generation.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I don't think we'll eliminate it that quickly. But I think you're right in the sense that we are better than our parents and they are better than theirs.

Anonymous said...

Angle's a bigot so what do you expect?

Anonymous said...

Do you know of a race more "racist" than African-Americans? They have Black This and black that and Black history week and black heritage week and probably black Miss America! ETC!!! I'm not one bit predjudiced but I'm tired of special treatment because of color. We are all the same and it goes both ways!

Can you imagine what would happen if someone had a White this and a white that and a white heritage week, and a white Miss America!

It's getting old and I'm tired of it .

If we are secure in who we are we wouldn't worry about all this other crap so much.

I don't care if someone calls me "whitey" or whatever. It's their stupid problem.

We'll never eliminate racism because some stupid people are fixated on it.

Oh, well, I guess everyone needs a cause.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon,

I think there's a difference between celebrating one's heritage and condemning another's. Unfortunately, most blacks don't know their heritage because we enslaved them, ripping them from home and family. So blacks can't celebrate Masai or Zulu heritage. They can only celebrate what they know they are - black. I see nothing wrong with it. And after enslaving them and subjugating them with jim crow laws, I fully understand why blacks feel a need for societies.

We do the same thing, but we don't call ourselves a white caucus. We instead have Italian, Irish and German societies, to name a few. These groups are not bigoted. They celebrate their heritage.

I'll agree with one of your points. If we are secure, we don't need to worry about this crap. but what black can feel secure, even in the Lehigh Valley? It's not terribly long ago that they were prevented from living in certain areas or swimming in our pools. And they are still the victims of de facto segregation - people move into the all-white 'burbs. And my liberal friends think they can make Aunt Jemima remarks.

Anonymous said...

Some famous words from an old (I think Eagles) song:

Get over it

Anonymous said...

We don't have as much prejudice as we did 40 years ago, but today it is more educated - Edward James Olmos

Anonymous said...

We can never end black resentment of whites nor white fear of blacks but we can be practical.

Both blacks and whites need to join forces vs our open borders. We have a common enemy.

Listening to these 10 liars tonite and their groveling to Rotgut Reagan forces one to face the reality that we are in a downhill race to the bottom.

They are anti-abortion and pro-death but in the world of "1984"
they get away with saying they are "pro-life."

LVDem said...

Actually, Bernie, stay in Nazareth. We don't want your kind here in Allentown. Not sure what your kind is, but we don't want it. My block is filled with a bunch of cool, diverse people and you'd just suck the mojo right out of it with your... youness.

See it is possible to rip on somebody for a reason other than race/ethnicity. You're still not moving in.

Bernie O'Hare said...

LVDEm, I'll stay away from A-town if you stop threatening to move to Naz.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, am thankful for your superb blog but have finally caught on that you are just baiting people with this stuff.

And you have invoked Godwin's Law--you lose.

Bernie O'Hare said...

R Mosh-tort!

1) Superb blog? That's very nice of you.

2) You and I aren't on the same page when it comes to undocumented workers, but I'm not trying to bait you. Perhaps the analogy to Hitler is unfair. I'll accept that.

Anonymous said...

Did Ron paint his lawn jockey's white?

Anonymous said...

Fair enough, Bernardo.

House of Crayons said...

Very well said Bernie.

Racism and bigotry are tough eggs to crack. My wife and I are dealing with a racial issue right now that is the result of people just not knowing enough to care.

My wife and I have the discussion on the socioeconomic plight of black people in the US all the time. She seems to assume that all black people that are poor can be like me and escape poverty. I spend hours explaining how i was unique and lucky.

People have a hard time really understand differences and root causes.

once again, you hit the nail on the head when you discussed our fractured heritage because of slavery.

I am sorry that anon 4:08 sees my whole race as racist just because we struggle to maintain some heritage. But until the United Negro College Fund or the NAACP attacks anyone elses race or ethnicity I'm gonna have to disagree. We African-Americans are not racist as a race.

Bernie O'Hare said...

H/C, There is a program administered by the JDL to help municipalities gain sensitivity to issues of racial, religious and thnice differences. I made a push for this severalk years ago when Angle ran into his troubles. But nothing ever came of it. I'd like to try again, but will wait until after the election.

Anonymous said...

I am so amazed to see people still using the race card to seperate themselves for their own stupidity and ignorance. For one ,since when did any of us have any control over the color of skin that you were born with? Why can't you use that judgement on your accomplishments first? I am sure that if we only take credit where it is deserved you could see that it is not a balanced playing field and perhaps if it were, you could see alot more African-Americans going to college and being successful. I was at the Howard University Commencement ceremony on Saturday. There were black graduates as far as the eye could see! Doctors ,lawyers,media and broadcasting,communications as well as every other possibility. Just think, they could be your new neighbors,pastors of your church,your boss or perhaps a person that could save your life. I am a white person who was born and grew up in Washington,DC. I saw alot of predjudice. My mother was a war bride from France. They called us "foreigners" because we learned to speak from our mother who had a French accent. We were taunted and made fun of and told to go back to were we came from. I learned as an innocent child how painful it can be to live in the presence of ignorant rednecks and it taught me that I would never,ever want to see life that way. I see that one of you has called Condelisa Rice Aunt Gemima. Who ever you are, you should be ashamed of yourself because I am sure that the results that you have in your own life doesn't even deserve an answer and you are not worthy to be in the presence of either Condelisa or Aunt Gemima!Why don't you let the world know your real name so you can be proud of yourself? I amn sure you also believe that only "those people" should serve in the Military and protect you inalliable rights for you also! Shame, and sorrow is how I feel to be a member of your race.

Bernie O'Hare said...

My friend, you state eloquently what I tried to say. What's sad to me is that those who are prejudiced in this area, have trouble recognizing it.

I think that's why it's important to point out when I see it. The fellow who made the disparaging remark about Condi Rice is a very nice guy. I just need to point out he's wrong to think like that, let alone say anything.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, Nice guys do not think and make remarks like that. Wouldn't want that nice guy in my neighborhood! Been there -done that!! Lot of the scum of the earth are nice . You see them on the nitely news --and Klan members!